Originating in 1892 as Walter A. Wood Harvestor Company, later known as International Harvester, the foundry was bought by local businesspeople in 1906 and moved to the present location as Northern Malleable Iron. They produced malleable iron for the agricultural, automotive, and trucking industries. Ductile iron was first poured in 1968 and gradually replaced malleable iron until malleable was completely phased out in 1996 and the name was changed to Northern Iron & Machine. Today 80 percent of our production is ductile and austempered ductile iron with the balance gray iron.
The machine shop was started in 1986, to enable Northern Iron & Machine to supply a finished machined, value-added product, to our customers that is ready to assemble. This remains our focus today, to supply the highest quality, finished machined and painted, gray iron, ductile iron, and austempered ductile iron casting available. In August of 2006, Northern Iron & Machine was separated from the Versa Group of Companies. In August 2022, we joined The Lawton Standard family of companies.